- County Council
- 5:00 p.m.
- 2nd Tuesday of every month
- Jefferson County Public Safety Center
620 Green Road
Madison, Indiana 47250
For a complete list, view theCouncil Meeting Dates (PDF)
If you would like to be placed on an agenda for an upcoming meeting, please submit an Agenda Request Form.
View Meetings Online
Meetings are recorded and can be found by visiting the Jefferson County, Indiana Government Meetings YouTube Page.
There are no published events in current month.
The seven-member Jefferson County Council has the ultimate-decision making power regarding fiscal affairs. The Council has the authority to view or review fiscal matters, determine proper policy and set priorities for the allocation and expenditure of county funds.
What We Do
- Approve and fix annual operating budgets of all county government offices and agencies
- Establish salaries, wages, per diems, and other compensation for all county officials and employees
- Fix tax rates and establish levies on all county property for the purpose of raising funds to meet budget requirements in conducting county business as well as authorizing the borrowing the money in the form of bonds and notes
- Appropriate public funds, i.e., authorizing the expenditure of county money by particular officials or departments for specific purposes
- Authorize certain purchases or sales of county owned land
- Provide a non-binding review of budgets for certain non-elected boards in the county and other civil units.