What is the role of the Recorder's Office in starting a business?

You are required under Indiana Code 23-15-1-1 to file a fictitious business name statement for a variety of different reasons. This document, known as a Certificate of Assumed Business Name, should be filed in the recorder's office in the county in which you are doing business. This is only for Individuals, sole-proprietorships, or general partnerships conducting business under a name other than their real name. All other types of businesses should go to State of Indiana Website.

Show All Answers

1. Do you accept blanket documents?
2. Does the Recorder's Office have information regarding neighborhood association bylaws and restrictive covenants?
3. Does the Recorder's Office provide templates or blank forms that I can fill out to prepare a lien, release, deed or other documents?
4. How are the fees charged by the Recorder's Office determined and set? How are recordings requirements determined?
5. How do I add or delete a name to the deed to my property?
6. How do I dissolve an assumed business name I previously filed with the Recorder's Office?
7. I received a solicitation by mail offering to sell me a copy of the deed to my home. Is this the only way I can obtain this record?
8. What is the role of the Recorder's Office in starting a business?
9. What types of payment does the Recorder’s Office accept?
10. Where can I find birth and death certificates?
11. Where can I find State Tax Liens and judgments?
12. Where do I get a marriage license?
13. Why won't the Recorder's Office perform searches?