Affordable Connectivity Program
What is the ACP?
The Affordable Connectivity Program is a federal government program run by the FCC to help assist individuals and families with overcoming price barriers to internet access. It can help cover the cost of broadband used for school, work, healthcare and more.
Who is eligible?
Per the FCC website, entities eligible for the ACP include:
Households where income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income internet program;
- Participates in one of these assistance programs:
- The National School Lunch Program or the School Breakfast Program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision;
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits
- or Lifeline;
- Participates in one of these assistance programs and lives on Qualifying Tribal lands:
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- Tribal TANF
- Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
- Tribal Head Start (income based)
How does the ACP work?
If you qualify for the program, it provides a subsidy benefit of up to $30 for most Americans, and up to $75 for Americans on Tribal lands to cover the cost of internet. You can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.
This benefit is designed to be used in conjunction with an internet service provider’s existing plan. To aid in this effort, many ISPs have created special plans that can fully cover the cost of internet, or at least provide a substantial discount.
Want to know which providers in your state participate in the ACP? Use this list here.
There is a limit of one monthly service discount and one device discount per household under the Affordable Connectivity Program.
USAC ACP Support Center
P.O. Box 7081
London, KY 40742
You can also contact your current internet service provider for help in getting enrolled.
Is your organization interested in helping to spread awareness about ACP? Checkout this useful toolkit for handouts and other resources, found here.