Commissary - Inmate Deposits
Inmate commissary deposits can be made online via jailatm.com or by visiting the lobby ATM at the Sheriff's Office.
The jail division does not accept cash or Money Orders for commissary, all money for inmates account has to be applied by jailatm.com
Bonds cannot be split in half, i.e. half cash and half credit card. After initial hearing an inmates bond can be paid at the Jefferson County Clerks Office, their is a $5.00 fee on all bonds. The receipt is then brought back to the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Jail Division and verified by jail staff prior to the release of the inmate. Pre-Initial hearing bonds as well as bonds after the Jefferson County Clerks Office is closed can be paid with cash at the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office 24/7. The bond must be in the full cash amount as we do not give or accept change when taking a bond.
Photo ID is required when posting a bond.
Medical Provided by: Advanced Correctional Health ( ACH )
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office Jail Division has full time medical staff on site 80 hours a week. If you have any medical needs, or special concerns, please contact the nurse at least 48 hour before your stay to discuss those needs. Inmates can supply their own medications as long as they are approved by the Jail Division medical doctor and not on the restricted list.
There are co-pays for the following services:
- Doctor or nurse visit - $15
- Dentist visit - $15
- Monthly refills - $15
- New prescription - $15
- Over the Counter Medication - $7.50
All communications with inmates will be done through either a scheduled visit, a collect phone call initiated by the inmate, or through the U.S. mail. The staff, with the exception of emergencies approved by the Jail Commander, cannot pass messages; these are directed to the Jail Commander. If you wish to have your telephone number(s) blocked from receiving collect telephone calls from this facility, please contact the Jail Division.
Family and friends wishing to send mail to an inmate in the Jefferson County Jail, please address the envelope as follows:
Inmate's First and Last Name
C/O Jefferson County Jail
317 Walnut Street
Madison, IN 47250
Please be certain to have your first and last name ( no abbreviation ) and return address in the upper left hand corner of the envelope. (This will ensure the return of the letter in case the inmate has left our facility). No form of payment (cash, check, money order, etc.) will be accepted through mail. Please do not place stickers or glitter on the material inside the envelope or the outside of the letter. No mail will be accepted if the envelope has anything written on it besides the senders information and the inmates information. With the exception of legal mail, all mail is inspected for any and all types of contraband. No pornographic photos or Polaroid photographs are permitted. No cards or coloring pages permitted.
Any of the above will result in the mail being returned to sender. If no return address the mail will be placed in the inmates property and they will only get the mail once the inmate is released.
- Clothing - All underclothing must be white or gray in color, no under wire bras are allowed. Only the underclothing worn when the individual reports will be allowed into the jail with a limit of 2 sets. Any items brought into the jail other than those listed will be documented and placed into your personal property and released upon your booking out of the jail.
- Hygiene - Hygiene packs are available at the time of booking. Indigent hygiene packs are distributed once a week.
- Jewelry - Wedding bands, medic alert bracelets, and religious medallions (less than 2 inches in either diameter or length) may be worn
- Laundry - All inmates are given the opportunity to have their under garments laundered twice weekly.
- Library - No reading material may be brought into the jail. Inmates have access to books within the jail once per week. Religious materials must be approved through the Sheriff's Chaplain.