For Immediate Release

May 24, 2018


A Mobile Disaster Recovery Center is scheduled to open in Jefferson County on Tuesday May 29, 2018. It will be located at the Brown Memorial Gymnasium on Broadway Street in downtown Madison. Mobile sites are typically opened for an operational period of three (3) days during the hours of 9:00am to 7:00pm.

The Indiana Department of Homeland Security and Federal Emergency Management Agency officials have initiated disaster recovery operations following the declaration by President Donald Trump that Indiana is now eligible for federal assistance due to historic flooding Feb. 14-March 4. The Major Disaster Declaration identifies nine counties for Individual Assistance and 27 counties for Public Assistance.

Click on the pictogram to view an update from FEMA

Fema Updates

Disaster Recovery Centers offer in-person support to individuals and business owners. Recovery specialists from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and the State of Indiana are available to provide assistance to anyone filling out their applications or updating their status. Voluntary organizations are available and offer a variety of services to help survivors recover.

Survivors may locate open DRCs near them at www.fema.gov/disaster-recovery-centers or by calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362, (TTY) 800-462-7585. Helpline numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. Additional DRCs will be opening in other parts of the state in the coming weeks. DRC information is also available on the FEMA App.

The registration process is the first step in your recovery and requires information such as insurance policies and bank information for possible direct transfer of funds. Survivors are encouraged to register before visiting a DRC.

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers federal disaster loans for businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters. The SBA is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged property.

If you have phone and/or internet access, you may register in one of the following ways:

  • Online at DisasterAssistance.gov.
  • Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 for voice, 711 and Video Relay Service (VRS). If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability and use a TTY, call 800-462-7585. Information on the registration process is available in ASL at: fema.gov/medialibrary/assets/videos/111546.
  • Help is available in most languages.
  • Download the FEMA App and apply.

You may have other needs while visiting a DRC:

  • If you have a disability and require a reasonable accommodation, please see a DRC manager when you arrive.
  • Language translations are offered through Telephonic Interpretation Services in 200 languages.

Disaster Survivor Assistance (DSA) crews are canvassing affected areas and are able to register survivors for FEMA assistance, if needed. Telephonic Interpretation Services are available in many languages to assist survivors with language needs. When residents require further assistance, the teams may refer them to a DRC.

If you have already registered, it is not necessary to visit a DRC. You may still want to go speak with a Recovery Specialist to update your status, submit documentation, or find help from the other organizations.

FEMA grants do not have to be repaid. FEMA assistance is nontaxable and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid or other federal benefits.

For more information on Indiana’s recovery, visit www.fema.gov/disaster/4363 or the @FEMARegion5 Twitter account.


Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during and after a disaster. 

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the federal government’s primary source of money for the long-term rebuilding of disaster-damaged private property. SBA helps businesses of all sizes, private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. For more information, applicants may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955 (Deaf and hard-of-hearing individuals may call 800-877-8339), emailing disastercustomerservice@sba.gov, or visiting SBA’s Web site at sba.gov/disaster.

Indiana Receives Federal Declaration for Disaster Relief 

Residents and business owners who sustained losses in the designated counties can begin applying for assistance by registering online at http://www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA(3362) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (EDT) seven days a week until further notice.

FEMA employees will be assigned to Indiana in the coming days, allowing local, state and federal officials to work closely together. These resources will help to identify individuals and government agencies that fall under the declaration parameters for assistance. The Small Business Association (SBA) also has dispatched a team to Indiana to help business owners recover.

 Counties that qualify for Individual Assistance include: Carroll, Clark, Elkhart, Floyd, Harrison, Jefferson, Lake, Marshall and St. Joseph.

Assistance can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses, and other programs to help individuals and business owners recover from the effects of the disaster.

Donate Now to Flood Victims in our County

When you are on the donate page-make sure to specify you are donating for the FLOOD.

100% of all proceeds will be used to help the flood victims in our County.

100% of all donations are tax deductible


Clean Up Information


Pop-up Locations will be determined at a later date or you can contact the Health Department at 812-273-1942.

Jefferson County Recycle Center

Once the Damage Assessment team comes to assess your property (approximately scheduled to begin Sunday, March 4th) someone on the team will hand a Disposal Guidelines flyer explaining what items the Recylce Center will accept. By taking your flyer with you to the Recycle Center, the Recycle Center will waive all fees on electronics and refrigerant bearing items that were destroyed due to the flood. You must take this flyer with you to get your fees waived! 

Items to take to the Recycle Center

  • Televisions, Computers & Accessories
  • Refrigerators & Freezers
  • Window AC Units
  • Cleaning Chemicals, Paints & Stains
  • Herbicides & Pesticides
  • Flammable Items & Acids
  • Fluorescent Bulbs

Jefferson County Recycle Center
6556 N. Shun Pike Road #534 (inside Jefferson Proving Grounds)
Madison, IN 47250
Recycling Center: Mon.-Fri. 7:00am-3:00pm and on the Second and Fourth Sat. from 8:00am-Noon


The Salvation Army and The Red Cross are coordinating all volunteer programs. If your organization would like to volunteer, organize your own group with names of each member and call the Salvation Army at 812-265-2157.

Important Documents

What Should I Do if I Am a Victim of a Flood?

Get to higher ground.

  • Evacuate if flooding is possible.
  • Have alternate escape routes in case one is blocked.
  • Take pets with you if you evacuate. However, many shelters usually do not allow pets inside due to sanitary conditions so plan accordingly.
  • Do not try and drive through water. As little as 2 feet can wash away most vehicles, and just a few inches can stall a vehicle or wash away the roadway.
  • Do not try to cross moving water on foot. As little as a few inches can knock an adult off their feet.
  • Monitor TV, radio and social media to find out what actions to take next.